The Great Forum Reorganization

So, as Wulf suggested in the facebook chat, it may be time to do a bit of reorganizing within the forum in terms of sub-sections and what threads will be archived.

I thought I'd make a thread discussing any planned changes so that anyone interested may make their case for what they think should be moved around, archived or deleted.

Re: The Great Forum Reorganization

So, first thoughts:

I feel like any thread that's not had a response since 2013 should be archived. If it's been that long, it may not be a topic that people would be interested in, or it's something that should probably be rebooted.

The New Users section should probably mention what's happened with the original site, possibly link to the Wiki and then state what the forum's intent is now.

Some of the older admin threads there do not quite have the same relevance because of the loss of the site. Likewise, I feel like the news and announcements section should be reduced somewhat; the discussion-based threads moved to relevant sub-fora and the others archived.

Re: The Great Forum Reorganization

I'm definitely getting to work with trying to keep track of what's still applicable in the present, so all of these are excellent suggestions.

In addition, I'll be adding my own thoughts of some things going on recently in the nerdosphere. Plenty of current events to be covered, which might even slip the notice of the SPL Facebook page.

Re: The Great Forum Reorganization

Going through the New Users subsection thread by thread:

The first thread that anyone sees, welcoming newcomers, begins with three deleted posts. That's not an encouraging sign. I think it should be archived and replaced with an updated version that discusses the new purpose of the site and links to an established list of site-rules, then possibly includes some of the admins stating who they are, ala the local admins guide.

I feel like the guide to local admins looks pretty okay, and the Tips and Rules thread looks great.

The Problems Adding Powers thread is sadly no longer applicable and should be archived.

The Avatars, Describe your RP character, and Forum rankings should probably be moved to a discussion forum so as to avoid extending the size of the first sub-section, but that's just an aesthetic opinion.

Re: The Great Forum Reorganization

For the News and Announcements sub-forum:

The New Features, New Beginning Arrival, Glitch Spotting, Private Forum and Reminder Thread threads should be archived.

Possibly rename the Private forum to the Administrative or Moderator forum.

Catch Me if You Can! Should be moved to a discussion forum or archived.

Re: The Great Forum Reorganization

Marvelous Miscreant
An Excellent Idea! Reorganizing the forum might just be what we need to get the ball rolling again.
Praise the Sun

Re: The Great Forum Reorganization

Got any requests or suggestions?

I've got to get into the habit of getting on the forum more frequently again!

Re: The Great Forum Reorganization

Same. I mostly only come on here, now, to update my to-read list.

Re: The Great Forum Reorganization

Mik_Hael
Administrator
If anything we need the publicity. We should probably get someone to narrate vault boy's old reading of New beginning and post it on youtube. Our actions should be enough of a cringe fest to at least increase traffic.

Re: The Great Forum Reorganization

lol, I'm not sure who I could get to do it, but that would be pretty great.